Attack on Titan Final Season is out
Are you the prey? No! We are the hunters!
This call and response (translated above from German) burst bombastically into the anime opening fray on April 7, 2013. Since those opening chords, viewers stayed glued to the screen and purchased Attack on Titan merch for nearly a decade.
With its grim tone, dark political commentaries, and insane level of action, Attack on Titan (also known as Shingeki no Kiyojin for the sub purists in the crowd) stood out head and shoulders over the walls of its competitors.
Now, as the final season of AoT air in the US and UK on December 6, 2020 (December 7 in Japan), let's look back at some of the most insane moments we've come to expect from creator Hajime Isayama.
Abandon all blindness, ye who enter here. Ahead, there will be massive spoilers for the story so far!
The season sparked a sensation and made everyone want Attack on Titan merchandise. The establishing arc of this anime had a grim tone and some real rug-pulling moments that left viewers spinning.
Fire the Crimson Bow and Arrow
First, let's recall some of the best moments of the very first arc of the show. Linked Horizon's amazing song "Guren no Yumiya" served as the opening that kicked off the anime.
- "Emono wo hofuru JAEGER!" - Don't lie, you sang it every time Eren sliced that Titan's neck
- While it's not uncommon for shows to kill off the protagonist's mother in episode 1, Carla Jaeger's brutal death makes it stand out
- At the end of episode 4, it looks like mankind might finally have some hope... and then the Colossal Titan shows up
- The Bearded Titan swallowing Eren in episode 5
- Then episode 8 reveals that Eren did not die, but is in fact a Titan Shifter
Fly on the Wings of Freedom
You thought Season 1 didn't have anything else to throw at us? Wrong! Now, let's take a look at some of the craziest moments from the second arc, marked by another sweet Linked Horizon jam, "Jiyuu no Tsubasa."
- Eren getting court-martialed and Levi kicking the heck out of him to prove that Eren can control his Titan form in episode 14
- Jean's resolve in episode 16 to fight for his fallen comrades is a quiet sort of awesome
- The sudden appearance in episode 17 of the female titan, seemingly as intelligent as Eren
- Annie's reveal as the Female Titan in Episode 23
- You've heard of "the walls have ears", but the season finale showed these walls have Titans
There are too many more amazing moments to note, so let's move on to season 2!
Season two was, by many accounts, not up to expectations. However, while not as well-loved as the first or third seasons, the second season still had some incredible moments.
Offer Your Hearts and Souls
Nothing codifies this franchise quite like the national anthem feel of "Shinzou wo Sasageyo!" by Linked Horizon. Hear that song played once, and you'll want to by Attack on Titan merch emblazoned with the Survey Corps logo. Now, to look back at the season's greatest moments:
- We open up with a bang as we meet Beast Titan, a talking Titan
- Reiner and Bertholdt revealing themselves as the Armored and Colossal Titans in Episode 6
- Everything revealed about Ymir's past in episode 10 brings tears and questions
- "I SAID ADVANCE!", also known as "the moment Commander Erwin established himself as the character with the most guts of the entire cast"
- In the Attack on Titan season finale, we discover that Eren can control the Titans
While this season may be shorter than the ones that came before and after, the reveals it gave the viewers really stand out. Now, let's move on to the latest season.
While there's more insanity to come in the final season, Attack on Titan gave us plenty to talk about in the most recent one. Let's recap some of the best moments that Season 3 had to offer us.
The first arc of season three, marked by the opening theme "Red Swan" by Yoshiki ft Hyde, seemed to be more somber and emotional. That seems fitting, considering we see more political moves during this arc. Such as:
- Levi's backstory in episode 1, finally viewable by non-OVA watchers
- Erwin and Commander Pyxis's bloodless coup d'etat succeeding in episode 5 after a false-flag operation to attack Wall Rose
- Grisha Jaeger deserves a slot on the Worst Anime Dads Ever list after what viewers discovered in episode 6
- Kenny turning out to be Levi's uncle in episode 10
Tread Along the Path of Aspirations and Corpses
This arc is the moment when the show grew into its own. Returning to form with another Linked Horizon song, "Shoukei to Shikabane no Michi", the latest arc of Attack on Titan also offers some of its most shocking moments. For example:
- The Survey Corps getting trapped inside Shiganshiga in episode 13
- Reiner the Armored Titan's ultimate death by thunder spear in episode 14
- "My soldiers, RAGE!", AKA "Commander Erwin once again proving that he's the gutsiest cast member" from episode 16
- Levi allowing Erwin to rest in peace, letting Armin become the Armored Titan instead
- The horrifying context shown by the Eldians' and Marleyans' history in episode 20
- Our heroes glimpse the world beyond the walls in the season finale, only to realize that enemies alone await them
Want Some Attack on Titan Merch?
Looking back at the best moments of previous seasons only gets you more hyped for the new one, and makes you want to stock up on Attack on Titan merch, right? Luckily, we only have a few more days before Season 4 finally drops, and the holidays are right around the corner!
If you want to stock up on Survey Corps and Cadets gear for you or your loved ones, check out the Otakuchan shop today! Order soon, though, or your merch won't arrive before the holidays.